Friday, May 21, 2010

Wraps: Trader Joe's Brown Rice Tortillas

All this week I'v been packing Greek salad wraps for lunch.  (I prefer to pick one thing and pack it all week - makes prep so much faster and there's no extra "What should I pack?" time wasted.)  It's worked pretty well, but I've learned a thing or two about using the Trader Joe's brown rice tortilla wraps to make sandwich wraps.  They are gluten free, of course, and like most bread-like-products that are gluten free they don't fold.  So, even if it's been sitting at room temperature for a few hours, it still needs to be microwaved for 10-15 seconds in order to actually wrap your sandwich without it cracking and making a mess.  There are a couple logistical issues with this.  You have to wrap your sandwich right before you eat it, so the tortilla has to be carried to work flat.  I carried mine in a gallon size zip top bag and slipped it into the outside magazine pocket of my work bag.  The wrap must be warmed, so you have to have a microwave at work.  And of course, you have to have the space to assemble your sandwich.  I do this at my desk since our shared pantry grosses me out.  Who knows what's been on that table!

(I didn't actually try wrapping at home and packing the sandwich pre-wrapped, but I'm pretty sure that once refrigerated again, the wrap would be just as dry and crack and fall apart, leaving you with a salad with tortilla pieces mixed in.)

1. Have all sandwich fillings ready to go.  In my case, this was baby greens "herb" mix, chickpeas, feta, olives, red onion, cucumber, and tomato. 
2. Microwave tortilla in bag for 10-15 seconds.  (Yes, micrwaving in a plastic bag is probably going to kill me.  Eventually.)
3. Place on napkin, add filling, roll, then wrap with paper towel to hold it all together and fold paper towel over the bottom to hold filling inside. 
4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment